Although University of Dhaka was established in 1921, it took another 27 years for the Department of Geography to be established. The Department of Geography began its activities on the Curzon Hall campus in late 1947 with a chair and a table in a small room in the corner of the present soil science building and It was established under the Faculty of Science with the single auspices by Professor Nafis Ahmad (1911-1982) in 1948. In the early 1950s, Department of Geography relocated to the Curzon Hall campus on a small U-shaped one-story building with 08 large and small rooms. in 1957 the building was expanded and a small museum was established for the agility of Professor Ahmed. In October 1965, the Department of Geography moved to the present building (some part of first and second floors), known as the Science Annex Building or Kazi Motahar Hossain Bhaban.