The Department of Physics is one of the nine departments with which the University of Dhaka was launched in 1921 on its long and glorious journey. In a sense, the history of the department is largely the history of the University of Dhaka. In the beginning the post-graduate and graduate students of Dhaka College and Jagannath College were admitted in the Physics Department. After some renovation work of the Curzon Hall Buildings the Physics Department was located there and it had more modern equipment than any other University of India at that time. All the rooms had gas, water, and electricity. High voltage electricity was also made available for the rooms meant for special research work. A mechanical and wood workshop was also established for the laboratories. According to the recommendation of the Advisory Committee Dr. Walter A. Jenkins was appointed Professor and Head of the Physics Department. Prof. S.N. Bose joined the department in 1921. Mr. Kazi Motahar Hossain also joined as a young teacher in the department. During the period from 1972 to 1980, the educational systemwas changed. The course system was introduced by Dr. A.K.Rafiqullah and others. Syllabuses were also changed accordingly. Geophysics and Meteorology were introduced in the Syllabus during this time. To encourage the study of science and technology in Bengali some of the textbooks were translated into Bengali. The tour-year 1 was introduced in 1998.