The Department of Zoology, established in 1954, is one of the oldest departmentsa in the university and the pioneer institute in the country to introduce teaching and research in animal sciences. However, during the year 1947-1953, (before its emergence as a separate department in the university) zoology was taught as a subject for ;B.Sc. Pass degree under the Department of Biology. The department is a three-storied white building, located in the premises of the Curzon Hall Campus. Being situated in front of the Curzon Hall Pond, the departmental building provides a spectacular scenic view to students and visitors. There are about 210 undergraduate and 60 post graduate students in the department. The department has about 30 teaching academic staff, almost all of them did their higher degrees abroad. As with the university plan, the department takes 80 undergraduate and similar number of post graduate (M.S.) students every year. Besides, about 30-40 M.Phil. and Ph.D. students enroll with the department each year. The students who are graduated from the department enjoy wider job opportunities in various government and non-government organizations in the country and abroad.