The name of Jagannath Hall is closely associated with education, culture and human awakening of Bangladesh. The University of Dhaka started its journey on July 01, 1921 with three Halls-‘Dacca Hall’, ‘Jagannath Hall’ and ‘Salimullah Muslim Hall’ as per recommendation of Calcutta University Commission. The nomenclature of ‘Jagannath Hall’ and ‘Dacca Hall’ were adopted as the newly-established University of Dhaka was founded on the land of Jagannath College and Dhaka College. The name of Jagannath College and Jagannath Hall were basically taken after the name of Jagannath Saha, father of Kishori Lal Saha (Roy Chowdhury), Zaminder of Baliati of Manikganj.
Jagannath Hall started its journey with 313 students on September 09, 1921. Jagannath Hall initially started functioning temporarily in a Bungalow at Ramna. The different houses and necessary structures were accomplished later in the government requisitioned land. The Jagannath Hall did not have its own entity for more than a decade during Pakistan regime. Jagannath Hall got back its entity in 1957. In the long history of Jagannath Hall several scholars and educationists had ornamented the coveted post of provost of the hall. Among those, Dr. Naresh Chandra Sengupta, Dr. Ramesh Chandra Majumder, Dr. Haridas Bhattacharya, Professor Debendranath Banarjee, Dr. Prithwish Chakrabarty, Dr. Gobinda Chandra Dev and Dr. Jyotirmoy Guha Thakurata are especially noteworthy.
Jagannath Hall right now possesses four houses. Another house is being built under finance of the government. In September 29, 1926, Rabindranath Tagore visited Jagannath Hall and wrote a famous poem for ‘Bashantika’ the weekly magazine of Jagannath Hall. The senior professor of the Department of Botany and the former member of the Senate of Dhaka University, Professor Dr. Mihir Lal Saha is presently holding the position of Provost of Jagannath Hall. Nearly 2500 students are right now attached with Jagannath Hall.
Please visit website for more :